Skip to content

Mom’s Single Mistake Lead To Tragedy For Her 11-Month-Old Baby

  • 4 min read

Mom’s Single Mistake Lead To Tragedy For Her 11-Month-Old Baby

Mom’s Single Mistake Lead To Tragedy For Her 11-Month-Old Baby

No mother would wish for something bad to happen to their child. Sadly, a simple mistake led to a tragedy for this baby. While his mother was getting him ready for a bath, one-year-old Daniel Chernenko, who was from the village of Salhany in the southern part of Ukraine, accidentally slipped into a pail of boiling water.

Because she wanted to give her son the perfect bath, the boy’s mother had to briefly leave him in order to get additional water. She had only been gone for a few seconds when she went back outside and saw her baby lying face down in the bucket.

She quickly scooped him up and brought to the hospital. That’s when she realized that 80 percent of his tiny body was burnt. That’s when Daniel’s fight for survival started.

He was given the greatest possible care by the doctors. Ten days into his illness, it appeared that he was on the road to recovery and would be able to make it. In the midst of the suffering, the mother who was feeling tremendous guilt was always at his side.

Daniel succumbed to his wounds after eleven days of battle…

Recalling the heartbreaking incident, the Chernenko family’s mother, Tetyana Chernenko, is in disbelief. A bucket was used to wash the child, according to reports. Afterwards, she placed the bucket of hot, scorching water next to the table. As she went to get another bucket of cold water, Daniel fell into the bucket.

She adds, “I saw how he fell in the boiling water. I rushed to the bucket and pulled him out. I hugged him, then wrapped him in a cotton cloth. When I unwrapped him, I saw his skin was peeling off.”

As a result of his serious burns, the skin of the boy’s body began peeling away. As soon as Tetyana realized how serious the injuries were, she knew she had to act quickly. The toddlers’ body had been completely burnt except for his fingers, toes, and head.

He sobbed so hard throughout his battle that his voice cracked.

After she brought Daniel to an Odessa hospital, the staff there declared him to be in critical condition. With his life in jeopardy, physicians worked hard to save Daniel from death. In the moments when he was on the verge of death, the physicians were able to revive him.

Daniels’ story went viral. In order for him to receive the best possible medical care, donations poured in from people from all over the world. Katherine Nozhevnikova, a local volunteer, shared photos of the newborn on the fundraising page.

Sadly, despite all of the donations and well-wishes, the baby did not survive the ordeal.

In an update to the donation page, they wrote: “Ten liters of boiling water and just a few seconds during which the mother’s attention was diverted. The child won 11 days of life thanks to people who donated funds for his treatment. We have lost him. I am so sorry.”

His mother never left his side until he took his last breath.

Though nobody is to blame for this accident, the mother regrets hoping that she should have been faster and caught him before he fell into the bucket of hot water. Sadly, accidents do happen. It’s too heartbreaking that the little baby had to suffer and couldn’t get better.