Your iPhone is great for viewing photos and videos, but it’s not the best choice for sharing those photos and videos with multiple people. The screen can be a little too small for everyone to see, so you end up passing your phone from person to person. You can fix this by moving your iPhone to an Apple TV or a TV that has AirPlay enabled.
Mirroring allows you to cast your phone screen on a larger TV screen. Read on for all the steps to mirror iPhone to TV.
Mirror iPhone to TV (AirPlay)
To mirror your iPhone screen to a TV, you need an AirPlay enabled smart TV or an Apple TV device. To start showing your phone on TV, you can do the following:
- Open Control Center on your iPhone by swiping down from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap it to open screen mirroring options.
- Select the TV or device you want to use.
- If the passcode appears on the TV, enter it on your iPhone.
- Wait until the TV screen shows exactly what you see on the iPhone screen. You are now pointing your iPhone at the TV.
Mirror iPhone to TV (HDMI)
If you don’t have an Apple TV or Smart TV with AirPlay, you can connect your iPhone to your TV using an HDMI cable. You need an AV adapter to connect HDMI to the iPhone’s lightning port.
Once you have the cable and adapter, simply connect them to your iPhone and TV and make sure the TV is set to the correct HDMI input. Once connected, you should see a mirror image of your iPhone on your TV screen.
Play videos from your iPhone to your TV
Sometimes you’re not interested in mirroring your phone’s entire screen on your TV, but want to stream video from your phone to a bigger screen. To do this, follow these steps:
- Play the video using an AirPlay-compatible app on your phone (most popular video streaming apps are compatible).
- Tap the transfer button .
- Select the TV or Apple TV+ you want to use.
- Your video should appear on your TV screen for you to enjoy.
Show iPhone photos on your TV
You can share photos directly from your iPhone to your TV by following these steps:
- In the Photos app, select the photo you want to cast to the TV.
- Tap it .
- Select AirPlay or .
- Select the TV or Apple TV you want to use.
- The selected photo should appear on the TV before you can share it.
What is AirPlay?
AirPlay is a great technology that lets you stream audio and video from your Mac, iPhone, or iPad to any compatible device (like Apple TV). With AirPlay, you can stream music wirelessly at home, in the office, or anywhere else you have an Apple product.
You can also use AirPlay to mirror your iOS device’s screen to a larger TV screen to show everyone what’s happening on your device. AirPlay is incredibly easy to use; All you need is a compatible Apple product and an AirPlay-enabled device, such as an Apple TV or smart TV.
Get a new iPhone
To use AirPlay and mirror your iPhone to your TV, you (of course) need an iPhone. Check out our list of all the best iPhone deals right now. Plus, you can check out some great iPhone 14 plans and deals below.
frequently asked Questions
What is screen mirroring?
Screen mirroring allows you to display everything from one screen to another. Mirroring is often used in presentations where someone wants to display elements from their smaller device (laptop, phone) on a larger screen, such as a TV.
Do all smart TVs have Apple AirPlay?
Not all TVs have Apple AirPlay. However, most popular smart TVs from major manufacturers are compatible with it. You can find out if your TV supports AirPlay by going to your TV’s settings and looking for AirPlay options.
Does Roku have AirPlay?
Yes. Roku has AirPlay and can be used to mirror your iPhone on your TV.
Can I mirror my iPhone on my Chromecast TV?
There is no native AirPlay support on Chromecast devices or TVs. You can’t use Chromecast to mirror your iPhone. However, there are some third-party apps that allow Chromecast to be used on iOS devices.